Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
(Ukrainian: Національний технічний університет України «Київський політехнічний інститут імені Ігоря Сікорського»)
|Campus||395 acres (1.60 km2)|
- 1898–1918 Kiev Polytechnic Institute of Emperor Alexander II
- 1918–1934 Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
- 1934–1948 Kyiv Industrial Institute
- 1948–1968 Order of Lenin Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
- 1968–1992 Order of Lenin Kyiv Polytechnic Institute in memory of the 50th anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution
- 1992–1995 Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
- 1995–2016 National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute"
- 2016— National Technical University of Ukraine "Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute"
The institute was founded as the Kiev Polytechnic Institute of Emperor Alexander II on 31 August 1898. However, the construction of the current building complex was finished in 1902. Until then, the institute was renting out its space at the building of Commercial School located on Vorovsky Street. At that time, it had four departments: Mechanical, Chemical, Agricultural, and Civil Engineering. The first enrolment constituted of 360 students. The leading Russian scientists Dmitri Mendeleev, Nikolai Zhukovsky and Kliment Arkadyevich Timiryazev provided substantial scientific and organizational assistance in the founding of the institute.
Viktor Kyrpychov was the first rector of the KPI. It was largely due to Kyrpychov's efforts that such professors like V.P. Yermakov, S.M. Reformatsky, M.I. Konovalov or Vladimir Zworykin became members of the first faculty.
Since its establishing the institute was involved in the 1899 All-Russian student strike, which resulted in arrest and exile of 32 students. In the beginning of 1899, the underground organizational committee was established and had a close relationship with the Kyiv Council of United Communities and Organizations.
In 1930, the Kyiv National University of Construction and Architecture (KNUCA) was established on the basis of factory and communal construction branch of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute (KPI) and the Architectural faculty of the Kyiv Art Institute.
The deoccupation of Kyiv in November 1943 made it possible to restore the work of the institute: the registration of teachers, employees, students who returned to the institute began. Already in the second half of January 1944, an administrative commission for a set of students on the first course and renewal of senior students has begun. All efforts of the institute's team were aimed at the restoration of the teaching base, because as a result of the Nazi occupation and brutal battles for Kyiv, more than half of the total area of educational premises was destroyed, hostels burned, looted property. Thanks to the inclusion of the institute to the list of the most important industrial and transport universities of the country, students of all courses were exempted from the prize to the Soviet Army, they were provided with an increased scholarship (first of all, it concerned students who captured specialties from foundry, forging, press and chemical production). Due to construction delays in the summer of 1945, students and teachers worked voluntarily performing urgent construction tasks during vacations.
Were important for improving the quality of training Research and involvement of students, especially in senior courses. The main form of their participation in research work in the postwar years were scientific circles, on the basis of which in April 1946, a student scientific and technical society was formed in the institute. At the time of creation, it had nine sections that combine 30 circles in specialties and about 500 students. Managed sections of leading scientists of the institute.
In the history of the existence of universities, 23 rectors were headed.
In the long period of existence, the name of the institute has changed several times:
- 1898-1918 - Kyiv Polytechnic Institute of Emperor Oleksandr II;
- 1918-1934 - Kyiv Polytechnic Institute;
- 1934-1948 - Kyiv Industrial Institute;
- 1948-1968 - Kyiv Order Lenin Polytechnic Institute;
- 1968-1992 - Kyiv Order Lenin Polytechnic Institute. 50th anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution;
- 1992-1995 - Kyiv Polytechnic Institute;
- 1995-2016 - National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". (Decree of the President of Ukraine in No. 289/95 of April 8, 1995 "On the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute");
- 2016 - National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute named after Igor Sikorsky" (Order of the Ministry of Education Ministry of Internal Affairs 17.08.2016 No. 992 "On the Assignment of the National Technical University of Ukraine" Kyiv Polytechnic Institute"). The name "KPI them. Igor Sikorsky".
Actively developing, the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute became the basis for expanding and strengthening the network of Vishivs Kyiv, Ukraine. In 1923–1933, and in recent years, several institutions, universities, academies were created on the basis of departments and individual specialties of the KPI. On the other hand, the famous educational institutions of Ukraine entered the current composition of the university. Thus in the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Informatization of NTUU "KPI" by the official date of the creation is considered March 1, 1919 - the Day of Approval of the Rev-wake of the Republic of the Republic of Projects of Engineering Courses for the preparation of the team of the Worker-Peasant Red Army, which in 1937 became the basis for the Kyiv military school of ZV The tap them. M. I. Kalinina. Publishing-Polygraphic Institute Since September 6, 2004, which included in the KPI in 1989, was founded on January 1, 1954, in Kyiv on the basis of the artistic-craft school of printers No 18, as an educational and consultative point (UCP) of the Moscow printing institute.
- Educational, Science, and Scientific Complex "Institute of Applied Systems Analysis" (ESC IASA);
- Educational and Research Institute of Telecommunication Systems (ITS);
- Institute of Energy Saving and Energy Management (IEE);
- Institute of Aerospace Technologies (IAT);
- Institute of Special Communication and Information Security (ISIS);
- Mechanics and Machine-Building Institute (MMI);
- Institute of Materials Science and Welding (IMZ);
- Publishing and Printing Institute (VPI)
- Physics and Engineering Institute (PTI);
- Inter-branch Institute of Post-graduate Education;
- Institute of Pre-admission education and Vocational Guidance.
- Applied Mathematics (FPM);
- Biomedical Engineering (FBE);
- Biotechnology and Biotechnics (FBT);
- Chemical Engineering (IHF);
- Chemical Technology (XTF);
- Electric Power Engineering and Automatics (FEA);
- Electronics (FEL);
- Heat and Power Engineering (TEF);
- Informatics and Computer Science (FIOT);
- Instrumentation Engineering (PBF);
- Linguistics (FL);
- Management and Marketing (FMM);
- Physics and Mathematics (FMF);
- Radio Engineering (RTF);
- Sociology and Law (FSP).
The university has two campuses, the central one being located in Kyiv, and the other in town of Slavutych.
The Kyiv campus of the university is located near the city centre in a park named after the university.
Almost 9,000 students from outside Kyiv are accommodated in 21 dormitories, 3 of them for married students. The living conditions at the dormitories is a matter of numerous complaints of their inhabitants, with four people sharing a single room measuring 18 square-meters.
The institute has an outpatient medical department for employers and students.
The institute also considers organized leisure a very important factor in bringing up young specialists.
The Knowledge Square is the centre of the entire KPI complex, measuring approx. 105 x 100 meters. The Knowledge Square is connected to one of the city's main thoroughfare, Prospect Peremohy (Victory Avenue). Meetings, festivals, and graduation ceremonies take place at the square.
The university also has an assembly hall with 1,750 seats. It was opened in August 1984.
Various sport facilities also exist at the institute. There are training grounds, soccer fields, volleyball and basketball courts for student use. There are many nationally rated athletes among the students of this institute.
Some Institutes were organized on the KPI basis. Among them are: the Civil Engineering Institute, Technological Institute of Light and Food Industry, the Institute of Civil Aviation, Automobile and Road Building Institute, Agricultural (now Agricultural Academy) and others. In 1934 - 1944 the KPI was called an Industrial Institute.
Other labs and organisations
- Scientific Society of Students and Post-graduates
- Scientific-industrial laboratory DIDAKTIK
- UNESCO Chair in Higher Technical Education, Applied System Analysis and Informatics
- State Polytechnic Museum
- University Interclub
- University Library
The Summer school Achievements and Applications of Contemporary Informatics, Mathematics and Physics (Summer School AACIMP) is an annual international scientific-educational project of volunteers from the university's Student Science Association. It is aimed at an international audience of advanced students, postgraduates and young scientists. There are usually about 100 participants.
It has been traditionally held each August since 2006. As a rule, the duration of the project is two weeks.
Science and education community
At present the number of students at KPI is more than 36,000. Approximately 400 of them are international students. In this way students, especially those who live in a hostel, have a social life with their foreign fellow students and a chance to learn more about other cultures, people and ideas. Over 4,500 students graduate from KPI every year. The diploma is accepted by the European Union. KPI has a preparatory department for foreigners. There is a possibility to study in English and at the same time learn Ukrainian.
Full-time students attend the school for 5 years and 6 months; part-time - 5 years and 10 months.
The school offers 68 majors and 70 minors at its 3 branches. There are 16 departments and a college, including the following:
- Department of Informatics and Computer Engineering that offer courses on Electron Instrument Engineering, Cybernetics, and Control engineering and Computer engineering, among others.
- Electric Power Engineering Automation department that offers courses Electrical Networks and Electric Systems, Central Power Plants, High Voltage Technique, and Cybernetics of Electrical Systems.
- Electro-Acoustic Faculty offering courses in Hydroacoustics Sound Recording, Measuring Techniques, and Microprocessors.
- Faculty of Radioengineering
- Physical engineering department offering courses on Metallurgy, Metals and Alloys, Powder Metallurgy, and others.
Faculty staff and Academician community
About 70% of KPI teachers have scientific degrees. Among them there are Academicians and Corresponding Members of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Professors, and Merited Scientists. The language of instruction is predominantly Ukrainian, with options of Russian and English also available.
A number of the university's rectors served as ministers of education, including the current rector Mykhailo Zghurovskyi.
A large number of prominent people worked and studied at the KPI
- Ivan Bardin, metallurgist
- Saadoun Brahim, a Kyiv Polytechnic Institute student who joined the Ukrainian Armed Forces as a fighter-volunteer
- Boris Yakovlevich Bukreev, mathematicianknown for his works in complex functions, differential equations, and non-Euclidean geometry
- Vladimir Chelomei, Soviet mechanics scientist and rocket engineer
- Valeriia Hontareva, Chairman of the National Bank of Ukraine
- Mikhail Konovalov, chemist
- Sergey Korolyov, rocket scientist
- Arkhip Lyulka, USSR's premier designer of jet engines
- Aleksandr Mikulin, Soviet aircraft engine designer and chief designer in the Mikulin OKB
- E.O.Paton, inventor of electric welding
- Isaak Sigal, scientist
- Igor Sikorsky, creator of Sikorsky Helicopters
- Stephen Timoshenko, reputed to be the father of modern engineering mechanics
- Oleg Tozoni, the head of the Department of Electrodynamics at the Cybernetics Institute of the Academy of Science.
Other institutes created based on KPI
- Kyiv National University of Construction and Architecture
- Kyiv National University of Technologies and Design
- Paton Institute of Electric Welding (National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine)
Recreation at KPI
The university has a well developed infrastructure of recreation and leisure, including sports, entertainment, arts, and others.
The university has a sports complex with an indoor swimming pool, a multi-hall building, and a soccer field.
The Kyiv Polytechnic Institute has been an important center of sports life in the city. Its football team "Politechniki" was one of the first football teams founded in the Russian Empire in 1906–1917.
The university has its own arts center located in Center of Culture and Arts, better known by its Soviet standard name "Palace of Culture". The concert hall of KPI Center Culture and Arts is the main venue of the Ukrainian national qualification for continental song contest Eurovision.
There is a park in the grounds of the university.
The Kyiv Polytechnic Institute has foreign economic relationship with 45 foreign partners from 12 countries of the world. 29 agreements and 17 contracts have been concluded and 77 protocols have been signed: KPI received the certificate as a participant of foreign economic relationship.
The most active international scientific and technological cooperation is carried out by the chairs of the institute with the partners from Poland, Germany, Bulgaria, Denmark and Lebanon. Lately the relationship with China, United States, Italy, Vietnam and Spain have become more active. The institute carries out the exchange of students according to the agreement on cooperation with the University of Oregon, United States.
KPI was the first university of Ukraine that joined the community of the European Universities, and signed the Magna Charta Universitatum in September 2003.
- University of Klagenfurt (Austria)
- University of Antwerp (Belgium)
- Anhui University of Technology (China)
- Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg (Germany)
- University of Miskolc (Hungary)
- University of Manchester (United Kingdom)
- Iowa State University (United States)
- University of Oregon (United States)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (United States)
- 1898 — 1902 Viktor Kirpichov
- 1902 — 1904 Mikhail Konovalov
- 1904 — 1905 Konstantin Zvorykin
- 1905 — 1906 Mykola Chyrvynskyi
- 1906 — 1908 Volodymyr Tymofeyev
- 1908 — 1911 Konstantin Dementiev
- 1911 — 1917 Ivan Zhukov
- 1917 — 1919 Petro Yerchenko
- 1919 — 1920 George De Metz
- 1920 — 1921 Serhiy Veselovskyi
- 1921 — 1921 Ivan Kukharenko
- 1921 — 1929 Viktorin Bobrov
- 1929 — 1930 Dmitriy Melnikov
- 1930 — 1934 unknown
- 1934 — 1936 Mykola Yefimov
- 1936 — 1937 Pavlo Zhykharev
- 1937 — 1941 Mykola Shpylko
- 1941 — 1942 Mykola Velychkivskyi
- 1942 — 1944 unknown
- 1944 — 1952 Oleksandr Plyhunov
- 1952 — 1955 Vitaliy Gridnyev
- 1955 — 1955 Ivan Shvets
- 1955 — 1971 Oleksandr Plyhunov
- 1971 — 1987 Hryhoriy Denysenko
- 1987 — 1992 Petro Talanchuk
- 1992 — present Mykhailo Zghurovskyi
|Global – Overall|
|QS World||701-750 (2021)|
National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute" positions in national and international ratings of the best Ukrainian educational institutions, employers ratings, etc.:
- Ukrainian university academic rating "TOP – 200 Ukraine" (2022)- 2nd place.
- Ukrainian employers rating "Compass" - 1st place.
- World universities ranking "Webometrics" – 713rd place (2012), 510th (2013), 1538th (2022)
- QS World University Ranking – 701+
- Radioelectronics and Communications Systems
- System Research and Information Technologies
- KPI Science News (Naukovi visti NTUU KPI)
- Visnyk NTUU KPI: Informatics, operation and computer science
- "Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Про Київський політехнічний інститут" [About Kyiv Polytechnic Institute]. Official website of the Parliament of Ukraine (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Нормативно-правова база - Міністерство освіти і науки України" (PDF). old.mon.gov.ua (in Ukrainian). 2016-08-17. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2022-05-07. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Наказ № 4-213, 31.08.16, Про введення в дію нових бланків" [Order no. 4-213 | 31.08.16 | About the introduction of new forms]. document.kpi.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Front page". iasa.kpi.ua. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "ІНСТИТУТ СПЕЦІАЛЬНОГО ЗВЯЗКУ" [Institute of Special Communication and Information Protection]. iszzi.kpi.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Інститут матеріалознавства та зварювання ім. Є.О. Патона | КПІ ім. Ігоря Сікорського" [Institute of Materials Science and Welding named after E.O. Paton]. kpi.ua/imz (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Institutes and Faculties of University". kpi.ua. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Faculty of Applied Mathematics | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Інформаційний портал Факультету Прикладної Математики КПІ ім. Ігоря Сікорського". www.fpm.kpi.ua (in Ukrainian).
- "Faculty of Biomedical Engineering | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Факультет біомедичної інженерії". fbmi.kpi.ua (in Ukrainian).
- "Faculty of Biotechnology and Biotechnics | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Home". biotech.kpi.ua.
- "КПІ ІХФ Інженерно-хімічний факультет, підготовчі курси". ihf.kpi.ua (in Ukrainian).
- "Faculty of Chemical Technology | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Головна". kpi.ua (in Ukrainian).
- "Faculty of Electric Power Engineering and Automatics | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Головна сторінка - Офіційний сайт". fea.kpi.ua.
- "Faculty of Electronics | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Факультет електроніки". fel.kpi.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Faculty of heat power engineering | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Теплоенергетичний факультет - Офіційний сайт Теплоенергетичного факультету (ТЕФ), НТУУ "КПІ'". tef.kpi.ua. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Faculty of Informatics and Computer Engineering | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Факультет інформатики та обчислювальної техніки". fiot.kpi.ua.
- "Faculty of Instrumentation Engineering | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "European NDT & Condition Monitoring Days, October 2021, Czech Republic". pbf.kpi.ua. 2021-01-06. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Faculty of Linguistics | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Факультет Лінгвістики НТУУ "КПІ"". fl.kpi.ua.
- "Faculty of Management and Marketing | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Faculty of Management and Marketing Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". Faculty of Management and Marketing. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Faculty of Physics and Mathematics | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Фізико Математичний Факультет". fmf.kpi.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Radioengineering Faculty | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Радіотехнічний факультет КПІ ім. Ігоря Сікорського". rtf.kpi.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Faculty of Sociology and Law | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Факультет соціології і права КПІ ім. Ігоря Сікорського". fsp.kpi.ua.
- "Home - X Summer School AACIMP 2015". summerschool.ssa.org.ua.
- "The article about the Summer School AACIMP in IFORS-2010" (PDF). ifors.org. 2010.
- "Best university in Ukraine". MIGnews.com.ua. 2010-06-14. Archived from the original on 2013-12-20. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "ТОП-10 фактів про нову очільницю НБУ — Валерію Гонтарєву". 24 Канал (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Kopanyi-Myach.info - Літопис українського футболу". www.kopanyi-myach.info (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Бази відпочинку". KPI Relax (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "ПАЛАЦ КУЛЬТУРИ КПІ ІМ. ІГОРЯ СІКОРСЬКОГО: АФІША І КВИТКИ". concert.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "ЦЕНТР КУЛЬТУРИ ТА МИСТЕЦТВ". ckm.kpi.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "QS World University Rankings 2021 : Top Global Universities". www.topuniversities.com.
- "Рейтинг університетів України "Топ-200 Україна 2022" « Новини « Євро Освіта". www.euroosvita.net (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Рейтинг вузов Украины Компас". www.yourcompass.org (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Central Eastern Europe | Ranking Web of Universities: Webometrics ranks 30000 institutions". www.webometrics.info. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "QS World University Rankings, Events & Careers Advice at TopUniversities.com". www.topuniversities.com.
- "Radioelectronics and Communications Systems | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "Radioelectronics and Communications Systems". radioelektronika.org. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Radioelectronics and Communications Systems". Springer. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "The journal "System research and information technologies" | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "System research and information technologies". journal.iasa.kpi.ua. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Science News | Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". kpi.ua.
- "KPI Science News". scinews.kpi.ua.
- "Research Bulletin of the National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Politechnic Institute"". bulletin.kpi.ua. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Journal: Naukovi Visti NTUU KPI". oaji.net.
- "Visnyk NTUU "KPI" : Informatics, operation and computer science". it-visnyk.kpi.ua.
- "Google Scholar site:it-visnyk.kpi.ua". scholar.google.com.ua. Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- Media related to National Technical University of Ukraine at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Ukrayna Ulusal Teknik Üniversitesi Kiev Politeknik Enstitüsü
- KPI history
- Blog KPI
- Student Council Campus in Kyiv Polytechnic Institute in Ukrainian
- Campus Map